Life! We all want it. We all need it. We all strive to have it. Our goals and endeavors are all aimed toward living. We work so that we may eat. We sleep to maintain our health. We exercise, take vitamins, supplements, medicines, have check-ups, operations, procedures – all to sustain our life. We put locks on our doors, and employ various means of self-defense. Ultimately, we are life preservers. Even those who seek to kill themselves have some motivation of preservation in a twisted sort of way, i.e. “If I am dead, I will be better off.”
Today in my reading of 1 John, I was struck by the emphasis on eternal life.
- 1 John 2:25. “And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.”
- 1 John 4:9. “In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.”
- 1 John 5:11. “And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.”
- 1 John 5:12. “He that hath the Son hath life, and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.”
- 1 John 5:13. “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.”
- 1 John 5: 20. “And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.”
Though God commands us to maintain our physical life, I am so thankful that, beyond and beside this physical life, there is eternal life in Jesus, and that I have it right now!